From Depression to Hope
“If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.”
Too many of us put more pressure on ourselves than we need to. We make plans and projections of the future and worry and fret about what happens if the plans fall through. Then we look at our past mistakes and look for a confirmation that things have always gone wrong, and must continue to do so.
The truth is that you are not responsible for what happens tomorrow. You are only responsible for what you can do today. Let go of your worries and feel the creative power within. Forget about what you can’t do, or what has failed you in the past. These are thoughts that are of no service to you.
“The first and best victory is to conquer self.” – Plato
Here are some steps to find your way back to hope again:
1. Look at your problems objectively. For example, if you made a boo-boo, are you enlarging it’s proportions? Will anybody care about it five years from now?
Forgive yourself and let go of the problem. If you created a situation you must resolve, your heart will give you the answer when you minimize the problem and look at it objectively.
2. Let change happen. If you got laid off, or rejected by a loved one, think about what possibilities are open to you now. Could you start a new career or find somebody better? There are billions of people and just about as many jobs in the world. It is a veritable smorgasbord waiting for you to come and take your share.
3. Every person has a heart and so do you. Your heart wants to be creative and free. Don’t let worries and anxiety hold it down. There is a beautiful power within, waiting to be rediscovered. Feel it fill your entire mind and body.
4. Truly open your eyes and look around you. What do you really have on this day – today? What can you do to make today awesome? What tools are around you to create something great right now?
5. To truly find your power and inner energy, try meditation. Meditation creates a sense of awareness and also releases endorphins (“happy hormones”). When you can let go of all the pressure put on yourself by the environment and let energy flow straight from the heart, you will feel a relaxation that induces joy and hope into your soul.
May you find eternal bliss,
Leave a Reply